2013/12/08

Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Mini Pizzas

You know what I like? pizza. All types of pizza, I don't discriminate. As long as there's cheese and tomato I'm pretty happy. Granted I haven't had store-bought pizza in over a year, but it does not mean I don't get my pizza fix...

...For the gluten-free pizza connoisseur there are literally dozens of suggestions on how to recreate a pizza. From gluten free flour crust, to cauliflower crust to rice flour crust or just "meat-za", there are many options on trying to recreate the glory of pizza in a healthy way.

I have tried most of them, and sure some of them are good, some not so much. But the thing that appeals to me and is missing from a lot of these recipes is simplicity. So I (surprise surprise) decided to go for a much easier and much lazier solution than baking a new crust from scratch every time I have a pizza craving.

Costco was having a sale on portobello mushroom caps yesterday... and people love using these things for everything from sandwich backs to burger replacement in veggie burgers to simply roasting them and eating them... so I thought... instead of stuffing them with fancy stuff... why not just stuff it with pizza stuff? They already kind of look like mini-pizzas...

So I experimented with that today... and the result was... simply out of this world.

I decided to go with my favourite pizza variety which is roasted red pepper + chicken. But this is just the beginning! Any pizza flavour you can dream of can be recreated in mini-pizza portobello form!! I am blown away by how easy and simple this turned out being and these little guys are SO flavourful since they are not diluted by bland dough and are just packed with mushroomy roasted goodness!

Roasted Red Pepper Chicken Mini Pizzas

Ingredients

1. Pack of portobello mushrooms/mushroom caps (mine had 5 caps in it)
2. 1/2 cup marinara sauce (check ingredient list to make sure it's good quality eats!)
3. Optional 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese or cheese of choice to top
4. 1 chicken breast 
5. Toppings of choice, I used 1 roasted red pepper, button mushrooms, basil, oregano and parsley
6. Olive oil to cook with

Steps
1. Clean and pat dry portobello caps, scoop out the gills and cut off the stems. 
2. Pre-heat oven to 375F
3. Put a thin coat of olive oil on the portobello caps and place them on a foil-lined baking tray smooth part down so they make little dishes. Let bake for 10 minutes
4. While the caps are baking, toss your chicken with spices of choice and olive oil and sauté in a pan
5. Take the caps out of the oven, pat them dry if they gave water. Top them with marinara, red pepper, chicken, sprinkle feta on top
6. Bake for another 5-10 minutes until the cheese melts and crisps 
7. Let cool! I burned my mouth devouring these. 









1 comment:

  1. Portabella pizza's are always a lovely, healthy option. Thanks for sharing your recipe!!

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete